10 May 2011

Voir Dire, I: The Man in the Window

::Note: Voir Dire is a latin term meaning "to tell the truth." It is used in the court setting. As such, I am going to write a series of entries based around jury duty, all falling under the heading of Voir Dire. Also, since I have so much sitting around time, I'm going to try to increase my update schedule for this week from two to five. Whoa! Oh, and they have three computers we can use. This post was the first time I've typed on a computer in a long time. Very different than an iPod Touch.::

Being summoned for a jury is strange: I come in, not knowing what to expect, along with about fifty others who are in the same situation. We all sit here in a big room, and no one talks. Most of us read. A few have computers. One gentleman has been staring out the window for four hours. He makes me wonder.

Perhaps he's bored. He hates reading, and they won't let us go out and wander. There's nothing active to do. Instead, he just sits and stares out the window.

Or perhaps he read my previous post: he is boring indeed, so he sits at the woindow. He watches ships come and go, thinking about all the wonderful things they could be loading and unloading as they dock, not to mention the myriadical stories of the people aboard the cruise ships. People like ants scurry about their daily business, twelve stroies beneath us. Smoke billows from factories on the left, while buildings seem to stretch all the way to Heaven to the right. And he can't take it all in, not even more a moment.

But all of these thoughts leave me asking a much simpler question to which I'll probably never know the answer: what did this man eat on his lunch break, as he sat staring out the window?

No comments:

Post a Comment