15 May 2011

Not Well

Yesterday I made some poor food decisions, chief among these being not eating enough. Further, a large portion of what I did eat was junk. Last night I tossed and turned, having a series of strange dreams. I woke up at 4:30 feeling horrible and went back to sleep.

When my alarm went off at 6:15 I considered trying to find someone to cover my shift at work. No, I can work: I'm tough; I'm a man.

I start boiling water to make tea and go to the bathroom. I'm feeling a bit lightheaded, and everything is a bit blurry. Suddenly my stomach starts hurting and cramping as a wave of heat covers me.

Blood sugar!

I eat a granola bar as quickly as possible for a quick burst. I eat a bowl of Kashi Crunch, which is high in protein, fiber, and complex carbohydrates. I dress for work and get my butt over there.

Smoothie. Nonfat milk. Burrito. I can keep myself sustained for about an hour, but working is making it difficult to get everything balanced out. Fortunately it's a slow day, so I leave early, 1:15.

Come home. Eat. Drink orange juice and lots of water. Back to bed.

At 6:02 I wake up and ask my roommate a strange question: AM or PM? PM. Excellent.

My blood sugar is much higher, but now I have a migraine. Excedrin. Water. Head on the counter. Eventually it fades. Any pill that contains aspirin, acetaminophen, and caffeine is a miracle drug.

As I write this, I'm feeling the best I have all day, which is still not well. I guess the lesson in all this is pretty simple: take care of yourself.


3 comments:

  1. Dude... I love the idea of this... but more I love your writing style. It comes off to me as pointed and direct, with powerful accents, and this great verbage that flows... fantastic. I am gonna be checking on this later... and also making sure i eat better... Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, take care of yourself! This is a lesson that is all to real to me now. I've always been large and never really had any repercussions until now. I look back over my life and see how much food was a main ingredient in my family. Good times... celebrate with food, bad times... celebrate with food. It's a cycle that was started so very early in my life. When I moved out of the house and was finally on own... same thing. I learned to cope with life by the consumption of large amounts of food. Now, I'm paying the price for that. It hurts to sit, walk, and especially try to exercise. My heart is in bad shape and the list goes on.

    I'm learning a little more everyday about my body and how very important it is to be proactive with your health. Maybe it would be worth creating a motto that goes something along the lines of, "Eat and exercise as if tomorrow depends upon it, then you'll be able to enjoy tomorrow when it becomes today." Oooh, I like that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, AwefullyMade. You are far too kind but very encouraging.
    Do I know you?

    ReplyDelete