01 May 2011

Thank you, Al Gore.

|Authors Note: This is more a collection of random thoughts than an actual entry. Very raw and not necessarily cohesive. I'm sorry, and you're welcome.|

Last night I discovered the internet(1). It turns out to be a vast and glorious place, packed with useful information. It was 1998 all over again, only not on a 14.4. 

Obviously, I knew it was there. After all, I have a blog. For those of you who are slow, that's what you're reading right now. And there are a few select websites that I use quite frequently: Facebook, Wikipedia, Google, Amazon. But last night was all new. 

First things first. My roommate was talking to my sister on Skype. I had never used Skype. Last night I used it to talk to my sister. They laughed at me as I asked questions like, "The video is locked up. Can she still hear me?" 

Also, did you know that dogs don't respond to anything on Skype? Crazy stuff. I'm calling my sister's dog (who loves me), and he is completely ignoring me. In the immortal words of Michelle Tanner, "How rude!"

Secondly, I was looking through the podcast directory on my iPod Touch for a John Piper sermon when I saw a category for news. I used to watch the news online when I had a computer, but that required Flash. I can download the news! 

I forgot how sentimental news can be. That is to say, it was great watching it, and it was strange that Tom Brokaw wasn't anchoring NBC Nightly News. This is also to say that there was entirely too much focus on human interest pieces yesterday. Just give me the news. 

Yesterday was a big day for me and the internet. Thirteen years ago she consumed all of my free time. Here I am now, rediscovering her existence. 

(1) I had a teacher in high school, a proud graduate of WVU, who would always talk about the inner-nat. It was hilarious. Perhaps you had to be there. 

3 comments:

  1. I love that you quoted Michelle Tanner, and Mr. Gravy.

    Glad you're having fun rediscovering the "World Wide Web"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I go through this same thing every time I find something new and cool on the internet. I usually end up spending about 1-2 weeks obsessing over it, which leads to me getting angry that I'm wasting so much time, which leads to me swearing off the internet almost entirely. Eventually I will hear about a cool new thing and the cycle starts over.
    Also, my dogs don't respond to Skype or the TV generally, but they do respond to the sound of a doorbell on either one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dogs realize the difference between people and digital people. They've outsmarted us, and it scares me. I certainly hope we have people studying this.

    ReplyDelete