07 September 2012

Oh, a Wise Guy, Eh?

About two years ago I had one of my wisdom teeth taken out. You see, I had to have another tooth out due to infection, and the dentist offered to have the full set of teeth out together. However, this is a large procedure, and I only had enough annual insurance benefit remaining to cover one. As such, I had one. This morning at 11AM I finished the process.

At 10AM (actually, closer to 9:45, but 10 was the target time) I took my pre-surgery medication: a tranquilizer* and a second pill so that I did not get sick from taking the tranquilizer on an empty stomach. This hit me a lot harder than I was expecting. The walk to the oral surgeon's office was tough. When someone gets shot with a tranquilizer dart in a movie or TV show, it is spot on.

At the office I met up with my friend Veronika and her son Leo, whose first birthday is today. Happy birthday Leo. You are not allowed to bus home from the oral surgeon because of possible complications of the surgery and anesthesia, so she was giving me a ride.Shortly after Veronika arrived the dentist called me into the back. They strapped me into the chair (literally), gave me oxygen, and stuck a needle into my arm.


The title is a reference after all...

"Do you want me to pump my fist a few times?" I asked.

In a manner indicative of my having just asked a stupid question, the surgeon said, "No. I'm putting something in. You aren't giving blood." This is my main experience with having a needle in my arm for longer than a vaccination, so I didn't know any better. Now I do.

I know it's sideways with an eraser mark
and a terrible pun. Do you?
The next thing I remember is waking up. They were frustrated with how long I had been out. When I looked at my watch, I realized it had been about two hours. It was supposed to take one. They had over-sedated me. I guess that's what happens when you weigh 130 lbs and aren't allowed to eat or drink for several hours. I had to keep constant eye contact, or else be told not to fall asleep.

They told Veronika that I could not be left alone due to the over-sedation. None of my housemates were home, so I went back to her house with her and tried to read today's Seattle Times. I know I was reading an article about President Obama's speech last night, but it took me about 5 minutes to read two paragraphs. I also at this point called the oral surgeon's office because they had prescribed me Percocet.  Had they looked at my chart, they would have known I am allergic to Percocet. They called in a prescription for Vicodin.

I texted both of my roommates to find out when they would be home. Shortly thereafter Ben got home and Veronika gave me a ride home. Ben picked up my prescription and I recorded a quick video, to be uploaded soon. Vicodin works miracles, and you can absolutely tell when it is wearing off.

I'm sorry this is somewhat long and probably rambly. Honestly, I'm drugged up. You might think it's boring. I just hope it isn't painful. If it is, no, you cannot have one of my Vicodin.

*No, not a muscle relaxer. Not even a sedative. They called it a tranquilizer.

No comments:

Post a Comment