22 September 2012

Love in the Fall

Today is the first day of fall, or autumn if you will. Whatever you call it, it begins today. As such, here is a poem about it that I wrote in college. Either Fall semester 2003 or Spring semester 2004. Also included, videos of me reading the poem and discussing it. Enjoy!

"Love" in the fall is the best "love" of all.
I sit beneath the trees thinking gladly of us two
sitting in dying grass amidst the piles of fallen leaves.
The breeze reminds me of you, so sweet and soft.
At night, I look at stars. Is anything more beautiful?
But when I see your eyes, I think I know.

And then comes winter, with the cold and the snow,
and April really is the cruelest month of them all.
But soon comes summer, when the weather is too beautiful.
Then it's autumn again in just a month or two,
and we move on like seasons with moments so soft,
as one person cries while the other person simply leaves.

But I think we should dance, like falling golden leaves,
and I would ask, but I'm afraid you'd say no.
I touch your hand, and your hand touches back: soft
pulses of electricity fill my body...I'm left in awe.
It's like the whole world is gone but us two.
But I don't deserve this moment - you're just too beautiful.

And I guess that I can't truly comprehend beauty fully;
it's something deep inside of you that will never leave.
And though I want to, I don't know how to
love. And I want to learn, but I don't know
how to. And when I try, I know I'll fall
flat on my face (it's expected, having happened quite oft).

Sometimes love is hard, not always so easy and soft;
and looks fade, but love brings out inner beauty, full
of character, not like what our society preaches at all.
Love never crumbles like a pile of dried up leaves.
When it comes to love, this is all I know,
and soon I hope to learn another thing or two.

I hope you're learning all about what love is too
so that, as I cry my tears that flow softly,
I'll still have a reminder, something to let me know
without the slightest hint of doubt, that you're stunningly beautiful.
But when what I can see on the outside leaves,
it's still there to remind me you have it all.

Love is patient. Love that leaves is no love at all.
And I know that you're soft and beautiful,
but if I concentrate too much on that, I'll just fall.

Video or the about video.

No comments:

Post a Comment