27 August 2012

William Strunk, Jr.

I love William Strunk, Jr. I firmly believe that every writer should have a copy (or perhaps several copies) of his book The Elements of Style. If I have a question about comma use, italics, or the like, it's my go-to resource. Granted, it is a condensed work. I often do have to turn to the internet, finding myself on MLA related sites, Grammarly, or the like. Strunk, however,  squarely occupies my first spot.



I know I used to own at least two copies, possibly three, though I now only have one in my possession. It is the original edition, meaning it is without co-author E.B. White. I have no problem with the later editions, but I do feel the first edition handles it quite well.

This being said, I disagree with Strunk on two grammatical issues. Both deal with comma usage. Both are debatable. The first is simple. Strunk introduces parenthesis with a comma. I am completely against this. Grammarly takes my side.

The second issue is more difficult, but also more troubling to me personally: the Oxford comma. The Oxford comma is a non-negotiable in my book. Always use commas between each item in a list of three or more items, specifically between the last two.

I watched a movie with my neighbors, Tim, and Joe. Correct. 
I watched a movie with my neighbors, Tim and Joe. Incorrect.

 Why am I so picky about this? Because the latter, beyond just not looking right and not following the way one would speak said sentence, also allows for confusion regarding apposition. If I see the last sentence, I'm going to assume that Tim and Joe are your neighbors, but the sentence is technically correct if they're not. The Oxford comma simply prevents confusion. And women prefer men who use the Oxford comma*.

I realize that language exists to convey ideas. As such, language has served its purpose any time we are understood. This being said, proper grammar helps you convey concepts more clearly. You can certainly live with terrible grammar, but I don't know why you'd want to.


No one should be surprised to know that I love Weird Al.

*I made this up. I've certainly not found this to be true at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment