19 August 2012

Look Back and Laugh

As you may or may not have seen, yesterday I posted that I was going to post something that I wrote years ago. I posted it on Facebook back then. Unfortunately, it's not there, as best I could see. Perhaps I didn't go back far enough, but I went pretty far. I used to post on Facebook almost every day. Those days are passed, as is the note.

Someday I will look back at this picture and laugh.
That's right - it's relevant.
The nice thing about that note is that it allowed me to remember some really great conversations and things that I posted notes about. It's fun sometimes just to look back. Here is one of the conversations that I just read.

This is a conversation I had with a customer. It was about a girl playing on the rope which formed the line at the store I used to work at. Unfortunately, it's all true, except I'm not sure how old I was.

Her: I'm just waiting for this to go poorly. When I was in first grade, I lost my 2 front teeth in an accident with a concrete floor.
Me: When I was in first grade, I lost my 2 front teeth in an accident with the dentist. 

Things like this make me laugh. While there are certainly things that should be lost to the digital void*, it's nice to recall a few things. And we are now living the moments we will look back in a few years. We can and will look back and laugh, whether at yourselves or something else. Take a moment to do it now. And remember, this isn't so bad. In a few years you'll look back on it. And what will you do? You'll laugh.

*I should mention that I stole the phrase "digital void" and this general metaphor from my friend Jess and a comment she made on my Facebook. This is what we call learning from Fareed Zakaria's mistake.

2 comments:

  1. Have you signed up for TimeHop yet? I think you'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Timehop? I don't even know what that is.
    At first I thought this was spam, but then I looked whom it was from.

    ReplyDelete