09 November 2011

She Lives in a Shoe

In customer service, you interact with a lot of people, obviously. We all have one group of people who seems to react most favorably toward is. For me, I think that group is women who are at least 25 years older than me.

That puts them at 55+, older than my mom*. Sometimes they are in the 55-60 category. Other times they are more in the 75-85 category, old enough to be my grandmother. Sometimes, even older. Recently I've had two non-work experiences with women in or nearing this group which I found to be particularly interesting.

A few days ago while waiting on the light rail I noticed a group of three or four quite trendy ladies in their early to mid-50s and a gentleman about the same age. They were talking and being rambunctious, with him contributing nothing. "I still think you should make out on the second date," I heard one of them say. She was clearly the leader of the pack.

We got on the train, and they sat in the seats directly behind mine. One of the other ladies complained about a recent date. She felt it went well, but he never called her after. Ringleader, a mutual friend consoled her that he did like her. No one seemed to understand quite why he didn't call.

The complaining woman dejectedly lamented her inability to find a man who is mature. Indeed, this does seem to be a common problem, so I thought nothing of it until Ringleader once again contributed: "you will have to get used to the maturity difference. After all, you're 53. 28-year-old guys are all like that!" Yes, the guy who was not mature enough to date a 53-year-old woman was younger than me.

Second story. This one occurred today. I was at the library, as I often am. As I was walking in, I noticed that right behind me there was a woman old enough to be my grandmother. I held the door for her. Shocked, she smiled and thanked me as she entered. We both crossed the library foyer and came to the second set of doors. She opens the door. Instead of walking in she holds the door for me. She gestures for me to go through, saying with a smile, "Women's lib." Wow.

I have some strange interactions with people, but these women stood out. I'm not sure why, but they did. Do you know why?

*I should note here that my mom, a faithful reader is only 37, though it seems she has been 37 for a number of years. I will not tell you what that number is.

1 comment:

  1. I am 37 do the math. I was born in 1958 and havent had a birthday since 1995

    ReplyDelete