14 April 2011

A Very Simple Piece about Creating for the Creator

I love a good day of creative pursuits. Last night I wrote, both poetry and a yet incomplete blog post. This morning I woke up and painted. This afternoon I constructed about a third of a chess set from clay. 

The writing is something I need to do more often. If you want to do something professionally, you need to do it. Practice makes portfolio, so to speak. Or perhaps it's just that practice makes better. Perfect, with regards to writing, is a social construct, and an abstract one at that. To aim for it is to shoot at a non existent beast. 

As for the painting, it's on an old canvas that has been a series of painting experiments. I have a canvas on which I try techniques and color combinations about which I'm unsure. Sometimes they work. Other times, not so much. This, while not good in this particular case (it's all about negative space, which doesn't work on the experiment canvas), achieves exactly what I was going for. 

I'm not totally happy with some of the chess pieces. There is a great deal of inconsistency. There is more detail on the knight's hair than the entirity of the queen. But I've long wanted to do this, so it's a start. 

Art is a beautiful thing. In the beginning, God created. He then created us, bearing his image. If God is creator and we are created in his image, art is essentially worship. In my book, that's one of the most beautiful concepts there is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment