12 June 2011

Victor Steinbruck Park (is not a pun)

Filthy pigeons
cooing in the grass:

you carry bread
as well as disease.

I'm sitting in Victor Steinbruck Park*, which is one if the most interesting locations in Seattle. Let me tell you a bit about it, good and bad.

You notice as soon as you get here that the view is incredible: Puget Sound, West Seattle, Sodo, Bremerton. If you walk toward the edge of the park for a closer look, you'll notice it drops off. Beneath? Roads.

A homeless guy will beg for money for hours, at which point he will take all the money to buy a loaf of bread. He will then feed the entire loaf to the pigeons, remaining hungry himself. Pigeons are disgusting.

Speaking of homeless people, you will be asked for money several times while you sit here. There are always at least two buskers, one of whom will be wandering around playing his guitar. Someone will try to sell you drugs. The money exchange going next to me is probably a drug deal.

While we are on the subject of drugs, the smell of marijuana fills the air. This isn't different from any other part of downtown Seattle.

Many people are relaxing by lying in the grass. We can only hope each person cleaned up well after their dog. It's a risk many people are willing to take, especially to enjoy the sun on a day like today.

Victor Steinbruck Park has it's downsides, but it's a wonderful place, and I'm glad it's part of my life.


*More accurately, I was this afternoon when I started writing this. Now I'm sitting at home.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting portrayal of the homeless man. It makes me think of a similar spiritual dilemma. In being able to obtain the bread, you are not filled unless you partake of it.

    ReplyDelete