16 March 2011

It's Not te End of the World As We Know It, but I Feel Fine (with apologies to REM)

Sorry for the lack of posts for two weeks or so. Life has been generally crazy. While this is not a post of excuses, I will tell you that I'm already behind on gardening and trying to get caught up, as well as having my sisters in town for a week. On that note, my sister makes the best carrot cake I've ever eaten, so I requested some of that, with her fortunately obliging. 

Also during this two week period, I applied for a tour guiding job. I sent my resume on the final day, along with my cover letter and the requested head shot. I got an email in reply, telling me that I was to attend the group interview the next day. 

I show up at Uptown Espresso (the location of the interview) a few minutes before it is set to begin. It turns out that it is actually not a group interview, but a group scheduled as a block, interviewing one at a time. I sit and talk with my fellow applicants. Some are good. Others are great. A few, not so good. Hmm...nine people at my interview block times five interview blocks equals about forty-five people applying for three to six positions. 

I'm nervous, as are a lot of the other candidates. In my interview I stutter and stammer quite a bit. I don't know the answer to one particular question, while other questions (often easy questions) find me taking too much time to think. 

I walk out, trying to be hopeful, but knowing I'm probably not getting a second interview. 

A day passes. I get an email, confirming my suspicions. At the same time, it is a personal email, referencing things in my interview and thanking me for applying. 

At this moment, I realized something: this is not the end of the world. Indeed, I feel fine. My identity is not in my job, but in Christ. And that, my friends, is one of the most beautiful realizations there is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment