18 September 2011

Showers? Babies Take Baths!

Yesterday I went to my first baby shower ever. Don't be alarmed - I'm not having children yet. You have more time to prepare. But I have friends who are, and they had a co-ed baby shower. I was very unsure what to expect, but I had a lot of fun.

One interesting thing is that we do not yet know the baby's gender. The parents have chosen not to find out until said baby is born. While I know this used to be commonplace, it seems to be pretty rare these days. If it were me, I wouldn't be able to handle the suspense, buy I'm glad someone is doing it. Babies of unknown gender get green and yellow clothing. I bought them a green shirt that reads, "Diaper Loading. Please Wait."

Since we weren't doing the standard baby colors of blue or pink, why not tie dye? It was my first time ever doing so, but it was a lot of fun. I haven't seen the finished product yet, but I'm excited to see the baby wearing the multicolored spiral tshirt I dyed.

While the tie dying was being set up, some of us threw a frisbee around. I haven't thrown a frisbee in quite some time, whereas one of my friends coaches an intramural ultimate frisbee team at the high school where he teaches. I'm not good at frisbee. We had a two-year-old playing. With his mom's help, he actually threw it a few times, possibly better than some of my throws.

Gift time showed the difference between parents and non-parents. As gifts from parents were opened, they would explain the purpose of items to the parents-to-be. On the other hand, I picked something off the Amazon registry, not sure what it was. It said something about bathing a baby. I figure bathing is pretty important.

Per the father's request, I stopped on my way there to pick up a few cigars. Unfortunately, between the dying (tie, not death) and frisbee and delicious cake, we did not end up smoking said cigars.

It's an interesting and beautiful experience to step back and take in the fact that God is blessing my friends with a baby. A new life is coming into the world, one more little tiny human, into their care. If there be anything in all of humanity worth celebrating, this is it.

2 comments:

  1. I forgot about the cigars! Maybe we can smoke them tomorrow before CG...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good to me man! Also, I have something for you. The thing I bought from your registry came today.

    ReplyDelete