12 August 2011

Forget New York - I Love Seattle, or Grass, And the Greenness Thereof

They say the grass is always greener on the other side. As for the dividing line between sides, there is some debate. However, for those of us in the tourism industry(1), the line can be clearly defined as a counter, whether literal or metaphorical. The next question is a matter of logical progression: on which side is the grass truly greener? 

The green aspects of my side are fairly easy to identify. Let us begin with the fact that they pay me. There are certainly much higher paying jobs, but also much lower. Add to this the fact that I get free coffee, probably worth more than my paycheck somedays. Let's not forget benefits such as health insurance and 401(k), as well as being a stock holder with further options. In addition to the tangible benefits, I work with people whom I love, as well as daily making dozens of friends in the form of customers. In case you couldn't tell, I really do like my job. Few people can honestly say that. 

This all being said, the other side of the counter is also fabulous. Seattle is an excellent spot to vacation, with attractions such as Pike Place Market, the Fremont troll, and, if you're willing to travel outside the city a bit, the graves of Jimi Hendrix and Kurt Cobain. Many tourists are about to leave for or just returning from a beautiful Alaskan cruise. Our art museum is stunning, and our aquarium is doubtless the best I've ever been to(2). You can hear better musicians busking in Seattle than you can pay to see in a lot of other cities(3). Seattle is known more than anything for outstanding restaurants, coffee shops, and bars, and it lives up to that reputation. Tourists en masse take in the best we have to offer, while locals generally avoid the crowds. 

The key word here is "generally." Today I had a friend in from out of town. We went to the space needle and various other tourist spots. We rode the monorail, though we skipped out on the S.L.U.T.(4) 

Seattle is an amazing city. As a tourist, I tend to forget this. I bet you do the same thing in your city. This weekend, drop your camera in your fanny pack and go exploring. After all, there is no fence. The grass is all your grass. Get out and discover just how green it really is. 



(1) I speak of the tourism industry in the first person, despite the fact that there is actually some debate as to whether or not the food and beverage industry belongs in this category. Seeing as the preponderance of my customers are tourists, I number myself among this group. 
(2) Seriously, you can pet a starfish. It's amazing. 
(3) For a brief taste, search YouTube for Emery Carl, Greg Paul, or Raw Corn. I'm sure there are many videos by them all. 
(4) South Lake Union Trolley. What were you thinking? In my 3+ years of living here I've yet to ride it, but know that when I do I will purchase one of the ever-popular "I Rode the S.L.U.T." t-shirts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment