22 January 2011

A Brief Hagiography of Derek Webb

I saw Derek Webb live tonight. As a matter of fact, I'm on the bus heading home from said show right now. Going into tonight, I was a huge fan; now, huger. 

Derek Webb doesn't make a setlist: he shows up ready and willing to play (almost) any song he gas recorded over the nearly 20 years he has been making music. It was amazing hearing him play some old Caedmon's Call songs, and even a new CC song, which I did not know. Hearing his background discussion on the songs and various discussions of life in general was stunning. 

The thing that most impressed me was that Derek Webb is really trying to use his popularity for good. I recognize that he is not the most well known artist out there, but he certainly has fans, and he is really trying to be a good steward of what God has given him by supporting World Vision and encouraging others to do the same. Legit. 

Is he controversial? Absolutely. Will he continue to be? Absolutely. But I for one am impressed. Webb has made the leap to actions over words. Now it's your turn and mine. I pray that we will be able to do the same. 

Luke 16:10-11
"One who is faithful in a very little is also faithful in much, and one who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much. If then you have not been faithful in the unrighteous wealth, who will entrust to you the true riches?

No comments:

Post a Comment